Home About Erin Featured Blog Roll Advertise

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Framing Out a Mirror and Quarter Round

I thought I would share with you some of the projects we did in the master bathroom redo.

******************************

This project was completely my husband's idea.  He thought the mirror would look great framed out in wood.  Secretly, I have always wanted to do that, but I knew he would have to move the light fixture over the vanity a little higher, so I didn't want to bother him with that little request since he was already working so hard. However, he offered and I accepted on this one!







It really was quite easy.  There are so many tutorials floating around out there, but none answered our question of that pesky outlet you see at the bottom of the mirror.


The trim is literally sitting right on top of the outlet. I mean we made it by the hair of our chinny chin chin.  Pesky issue one ~ check
He used a miter saw to cut the edges and then I painted a glossy white on.  Putting it up, was actually quite comical.  We used liquid nails to secure the entire thing.  That's it!  So, I had to hold one side while he held the other and then we started to tape our sides at the same time.  The part that was comical was, my side would slide down because I wasn't holding it right.  We would start the process over again and again!  But, we finally got it up and secured and let it cure over night.



I'm very pleased with how it turned out!



The next project was laying quarter round down around the bath tub, shower and at the base of the cabinets.  The grout didn't lay to pretty there, so we needed something  to make it look nice and clean.


Enter, pre-painted quarter round.  We got it at our local Lowe's and the best thing is, it's not wood.  So it can get wet and not rot.  We applied liquid nails and laid it snugly against the tub and tile and anywhere else we needed it.



We secured it with painters tape so it wouldn't move.








While my man, was at work, I got busy painting the cabinets.  I'm kinda a semi pro at this by now, so it went really smoothly.  I used the same paint from the Kitchen cabinets so I was trying to save us some money again.  I didn't have very many doors to do this time, so I thought I would try my hand at placing paintable bead board in the center of the cabinet door.



David made me a template and then I just cut away.  I was really nervous about how it would turn out and how easy was it going to go on, and guess what?  It was so much easier than I ever thought. 

*I used an exacto knife to make my cut and then finished the cut with scissors.
*You place the cut piece in a sink full of water for about 3 min. and let it soak really good
*Place the wet piece on the cabinet door and smooth out
*I used a flat edge scraper to get all the bubbles out
*And Voila!  You let it dry over night and there you have it!

***Don't look at those dirty dishes in the sink!  I had a project to do!***




Sorry I don't have a clearer picture.  But, I love them.  I painted right over them with my paint and they look great!  I still can't decide if I want to rub a glaze over them or not.  I'll have to live with them for a while.




Ah, the joys of painting!  I think I take up every room in the house when I paint.



Here's a look at the quarter round all done!



Looks nice doesn't it?



I'm still waiting on my curtains to be shipped for the cutout under the cabinets.  I just painted a shelf and now I need to glaze it and put it up and I'm done!!  I really am enjoying our new bathroom.  It just feels good to have it done and know that we did it!  Hope your projects are going well and have a good sleep!

Blessings,

15 comments:

  1. You guys did a great job, Erin! Personally, I don't think bathroom mirrors should even be installed unless they're framed! Just my humble opinion! The quater round is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin your bathroom turned out beautiful,and I LOVE how you put the beadboard wallpaper on the doors.The framed mirror was the finishing touch! I just finished my daughters bathroom would love for you take a peek. Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin, Using paintable beadboard on the doors was genius...it looks so fabulous! Also love the frame around the mirror! That's a job on my long list of projects. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the sweet comments on my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bathroom looks so great. I can't wait to see what it looks like with the skirt on the sink. I love the beadboard wallpaper...I'm so wanting to use that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous job! We had to do the same thing on all our bathroom mirrors. Why do they even install those horrible huge things that way. Looking good Erin!~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the whole look to the room, you have a wonderful husband♥

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! We just had frames added to our bathroom mirrors upstairs and I love them!! Just need to get em painted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so talented! The hubby and I have hired Brooke Giannetti of Velvet and Linen to help design our home. Once we start the design process I will share little snippets of our home. You are so blessed with a great eye for design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin,

    All your hard work paid off it looks beautiful! Where did you get the bead board paper? I have never heard of this before. I would love to get my hands on some of this!

    Blessings,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin, LOVE your blog!!! And I LOVE LOVE your bathroom. It made we think...hmmm...I wonder if you'd be interested in trading some FREE vinyl lettering for your bathroom or another space in your home in exchange for a feature on your blog?? Let me know. Keep up the great work. You are one of my heros! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin,

    Your bathroom looks fantastic! You and your husband make a great team.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin, you never cease to amaze me!!! Your husband is also an awesome handyman! I just love your bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inspiring!Painting cabinets-do you just sand it down well and then paint? Do you use oil based paint or water? I'm getting psyched up to tackle our 1980s bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this look and I really want to do this in my bathroom and kitchen. However, my father keeps discouraging me from painting cabinets, saying that they scratch easily and never look good after 6+ months...any thoughts on this? Have you been able to keep them scratch free? Thanks! Valerie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!